all rights reserved
Glencoe Life Science - Chapter 8 and 9
Student # ____
->Vocabulary building instructions
Instructions: For each section list the vocabulary words and make up a CQC sentence that uses each word and, at the same time, defines it. Underline the words being defined. (Glossary definitions will not receive full credit.)
Defining sentence The Eubacteria are one of the two kingdoms of bacteria. These bacteria do not have a definate nucleus and are of one of two types, Cyanobacteria which make their own food, and Bacteria which absorb food from their surroundings.
->Research Question Instructions Complete the following Data Tables, Exercises and Questions on a separate sheet of paper. Quality answers embody the question in the answer in a complete, informative sentence(s). Quality answers will receive the most credit. Use lined paper and ink or word processor.
Total amount for all four Assignments = 283points.
Part A Assignment 8.1 Two Kingdoms of Bacteria (55 points for this job)
a. Complete Vocabulary building using the 4 Science Words page 210. (3pts. Each =15 pts.)
b. Questions: Answer questions 1- 8 (40 total points!)
1. Many people think that bacteria and fungi are harmful and serve no useful purpose in nature. Tell two reasons why this isn't so.
2. What are the two kingdoms of bacteria?
3. What are the three shapes that bacteria can have AND tell what the scientific name is for each shape.
4. What is the function of the following bacterial characteristics?
Thick Gel on capsule
5. Cyanobacteria are unusual because they produce their own food. Describe how they produce their own food AND explain why fish want to eat them.
6. Explain how a pond gets covered with smelly, bubbly green slime AND how that can be harmful to everything in the pond.
7. Tell the two ways that bacteria reproduce AND tell how reproduction occurs in each case.
8. Describe 5 places where bacteria that are members of the Kingdom Archaebacteria are found.
Part B Assignment 8.2 Bacteria in your life (55 points for this job)
a. Complete Vocabulary building using the 7 Science Words page 216. (3pts. Each =20 pts.)
b. Questions: Answer questions 9-13. (25 total points!)
9. What would happen to our world if there where no saprophytes.
10. Explain the four steps in root nodule formation/nitrogen production.
11. Tell how a vaccine causes the human body to protect itself from a disease.
12. Explain why botulism bacteria can create toxins in opened or damaged canned foods AND tell why they don't need oxygen to do this.
13. Tell what Pasteurization is, who invented it, and what industry it was first used in.
Part C Assignment 8.3 Fighting Tuberculosis (15points for this job)
a. Complete Vocabulary building using the 1 Science Word page 222. (3pts. Each =5 pts.)
b. Questions: Answer questions 14-15? (10 total points!)
14. Tell the following three things: What causes Tuberculosis (name it), how is it spread, and what part of the body does it attack.
15. Completely explain how antibiotic resistance is caused. ...
Part D Assignment 9.1 Kingdom Protista (103 points for this job)
a. Complete Vocabulary building using the 5 Science Words page 230. (3pts. Each =15 pts.)
b. Questions: Answer questions 16 - 24. (88 total points!)
16. Scientists think that all Protists (animal like, fungus like and plant like) are evolved from two different organisms. Tell what these organisms are and which protist evolved from them.
17. Name the 5 parts of a Euglena and tell what each does.(You may have to refer to Chap 2 for help.)
18. Algae Facts Create this data table & answer the 24 questions (2pts ea 48 points).
19. Rhisopoda - Explain the three steps an amoeba uses to trap food.
20. Flagellates - Tell why a termite will starve to death without one of these animal-like protists.
21. Explain what cilia are and how a Paramecium uses cilia to move.
22. Tell what Sporozoan causes malaria and how humans get the disease.
Fungus like Protists
23. Describe where slime molds are usually found.
24. Explain how a lowly water mold caused the death of thousands of people.
Part E Assignment 9.2 Kingdom Fungi (50 points for this job)
a. Complete Vocabulary building using the 7 Science Words page 241. (3pts. Each =20 pts.)
b. Questions: Answer questions 25 - 30. (30 total points!)
25. Describe how the way a fungi digests food is different then the way humans digest food.
26. What is the type of black fungi called that grows on old bread or fruit.
27. Completely explain how one sac fungi, the yeast causes bread to rise.
28. Describe why the Club fungi are economically important (both negatively and positively).
29. Tell what a lichen is made of and what this type of association is called. (hint you may have to go to chap 18 to find this name!).
30. Completely explain how a lowly lichen can help form soil!
Part F Assignment 9.2 Kingdom Fungi (10 points for this job)
a. Questions: Answer question 31 . (10 total points!)
31.Explain why Red Tides made of dinoflagellates can poison or even kill humans.